Special Education Needs Information Report for North Denes Junior School

All our staff will do their best to help you and your child have a positive school experience.  We have tried to make the following document as user friendly as possible, however you may have other questions so please feel free to contact the school.  This report is part of the Norfolk Local Offer for vulnerable children and children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).  Please click here to access the Norfolk Local Offer website. 

  • School aims: Please click here
  • School SEND Policy: Please click here
  • Norfolk SEND Partnership. Please click here

How do we know if your child has Special Educational Needs?

All children have individual education needs which may change during their time at school.  Some children, however, will have more significant needs than others.  The best way to identify these needs is for their schools and family & carers to talk.  You know your child better than anybody and some special needs are far more obvious at home than in school. As a school we may raise concerns if we are worried about the progress your child is making or if they are having problems interacting with other children. 

The Code of Practice defines SEN as: 

 Definition of Special Educational Need (section 20 of Children and Families Act 2014): A child or young person has special educational needs if he or she has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they; (a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age Or (b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for some others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream or post-16 institutions. A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if they fall within the definition of (a) or (b) or would do so if no special educational provision were made. Children must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because the language or form of language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught.

 If a child is identified as having SEN we will assess the child’s learning needs and provide provision that is ‘additional to or different from’ the normal differentiated curriculum.  In addition to this, we may seek advice and specialist support from outside agencies.  If your child has an identified SEN before joining us, we would work with the people who already know them to provide an appropriate learning experience. For some children, being given an Education, Health and Care Plan may be considered the best way to support their SEN.  At all times we consider good communication between all the people involved, including the child, as essential to achieving the best outcomes.   

How will your child be supported?

Your child’s class teacher will be your first and main contact for any questions you have regarding your child’s education. All children receive work targeted at their level of ability.  The class teacher will suggest any additional support your child might require, normally in consultation with the SENCO, head teacher or subject leaders. This support will be ‘additional to or different from’ a normal differentiated curriculum.

How will the curriculum match your child’s needs?

Your child’s main support will be their class teacher.  All children are taught within a mainstream classroom with their peers.  Children may also be taught outside the classroom in small groups or individually for short periods of time.  This is to allow specific identified needs to be addressed and will be led by either teachers or trained support staff and reviewed on a regular basis.  In some cases outside specialists may also deliver targeted support.

Within our school, various strategies are used to adapt access to the curriculum. This might include using:

  • Visual Timetables
  • Writing Frames
  • Computers
  • Positive behaviour and reward systems
  • Intervention programmes such as NESSIE, Rapid Phonics, Numicon or Sound Discovery
  • Individual Support Plans (ISPs)
  • Additional targeted adult support

How will you know how your child is doing?

You will be able to discuss how your child is progressing at parents’ evenings.  Teachers are also happy to have a chat at the end of the school day, or you can make an appointment with the teacher or SENCo for a more detailed discussion.  Parents and carers are also invited to have an input into any progress reviews (e.g. ISPs and EHCP’s) and will also receive a written report at the end of the school year. 

How can you support your child’s learning?

Your child’s teacher may suggest ways that you can help your child at home, including supporting them with their homework.  Any outside agencies that support your child may also have suggestions.  Perhaps the most important thing you can do is talk to your child about school.

What support will there be for your child’s wellbeing?

All appropriate members of staff are happy to discuss any issues or concerns with your child.The school nurse also holds regular drop in sessions at school.  If necessary a referral for more specialist support can be made.   During your child’s PATHS lessons, they will be given opportunities to share their feelings and concerns.  They will also discuss ways of dealing positively and appropriately with their emotions, especially anger and issues of conflict.  

What if your child has medical needs?

  • If your child has a medical need, a detailed Care Plan is set up with support from the school nurse or other medical professionals. 
  • This plan is shared with all staff who work with your child and appropriate staff will receive any necessary training.
  • Named staff will administer medicines with parental consent.
  • All support staff have received basic first aid training with named first aiders receiving more advanced training.

What specialist services and expertise are available for your child?

  • School nurse
  • Parental Support Adviser
  • ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) Support Adviser
  • Educational Psychologist
  • CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • Behaviour and Attendance OfficerSpeech and Language Service
  • Sensory Support Service
  • Social services
  • Safeguarding Officers
  • Short Stay School Services
  • Advisory Teacher services
  • Nelson’s Journey (bereavement support)

What specialist training has your child’s teachers and support staff had? 

All qualified teachers receive regular training on how to support children with SEND in their classrooms.  Miss Parks also has the ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination’. Further training has been provided to teachers and teaching assistants including:

  • Working with children with speech and language difficulties.
  • Working with children on the autistic spectrum.
  • Working with children with challenging behaviour.

How will your child be included in activities outside of the classroom, including school trips?

We want every child to experience the full range of opportunities and experiences offered by this school.  Risk assessments are carried out and every effort is made to ensure that this can happen.  Sometimes this may necessitate a parent or carer being included in the activity.

How accessible is your child’s school?

Click here for accessibility report.

What measures are in place to prevent your child being bullied?

Click here for anti-bullying policy 

How will we support you and your child when joining our school or transferring to their next school?

Teachers attend extensive transfer meetings with both the infant and high school within our cluster.  Your child may also be offered extra transfer visits to their next school to help them settle in.  SENCo’s and class teachers are also happy to meet with you and your child to answer any questions you may have.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support your child will receive?

We expect your child to make a similar rate of progress as all the other children at the school.  To do this your child may need additional support.  The level of support needed will be determined following discussions with: you and your child; teaching and support staff and any outside agencies involved with your child. 

How can you be involved in your child’s education?

By attending any meetings and talking to your child’s teacher, you are supporting your child.  However, we are always happy if parents wish to get further involved.This can be my supporting and attending events and activities or even volunteering to come in to school to support children on a more regular basis. 

How will your child’s academic progress be monitored?

Your child will have clear targets which they understand and are assessed against.  If your child is not making the expected progress in a particular area, we will provide appropriate additional support.

Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs please arrange a meeting in the first instance with their class teacher.  The school’s SENCo will also be happy to meet with you. 

Who to ask for:   

Headteacher: Mrs Debbie Whiting
Deputy Head: Mr C. Honey
SENCo: Miss Juliet Parks
Care and Support Advisor: Mrs Sharon Johnson
Behaviour and Attendance officer: Miss Vicky Beales