I apologise for the lateness of this letter but as you will know things have been very uncertain over schools returning.
Unions have called for teachers and support staff not to return to the classroom, saying it is unsafe. I have just finished a Zoom meeting with county and other heads and since I cannot at this time say that I can open the school safely and fully staffed, we will be CLOSED to ALL children on Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th January. I apologise for the inconvenience but the safety of all comes first. I hope to open fully on Wednesday but that will depend on staffing levels and any changes we have to make to risk assessments being in place. If I am short of staff then places for the vulnerable, those with an EHCP and keyworkers will be prioritised. I will contact you again tomorrow.
We understand that, like staff, some parents will be anxious about coming to the school gates or sending children in so we will be giving you a choice and will support you in whatever decision you make. A survey will be coming to you shortly – please respond ASAP. We will be offering you the choice of sending your children to school – staff levels permitting – or having remote learning at home. This will be very different from the last time schools were closed. Learning will be online and children will be expected to complete it. We have laptops available – with internet connection for those of you without WiFi so EVERY child will be able to access the lessons. Please let us know if you need a laptop with or without internet.
The school office will be open but be assured we will be contacting you so please wait. Breakfast and after school care will cease at this time and reopen when the situation improves. We simply CANNOT have any chance of bubbles mixing. Again, we will be in touch with more information.
I just wanted to give you this information as soon as I could. This is not how I wished to start the new year!
Many thanks for your support at this time.